Updated on 25 Aug, 2014
Prof M. Aslam
Prof M Aslam has rich and varied experience both at national and international levels in Rural Development; ICT, Communication and Extension; Distance & Continuing Education; Multi-Media in Distance Eduction; Training Methodology; Training skills; University Administration; Monitoring and Evaluation; Panchayati Raj and Social Change from his more then 33 years career in the field, out of which he spent about 8 years abroad on an international assignment. He has more than 17 years of distance and open learning experience at national and international levels.
Academic Career: Prof. Aslam has passed M.A. in Sociology with First Division and Second Position.(1973) He got his M.Phil. in 1975 and Ph.D. (Sociology) in 1978.
Prior to joining as the Vice Chancellor of IGNOU, Prof Aslam served as the Professor, School of Continuing Education and ‘Project Leader’ for IGNOU-MOPR-UNDP project on ‘Capacity Building of PRIs through a Multi-Mode Training Intervention’ for implementing in six states namely Bihar, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Uttrakhand with the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) as the implementing agency.
- As a Project Director, Panchayati Raj Project, developed a Multi-Media Distance Education package for Panchayati Raj Functionaries elected throughout the country. The package was introduced among 58,000 elected functionaries of Panchayats in 4 selected districts of Madhya Pradesh. This multi-media package has been conferred COL President’s Award of Excellence at PAN Commonwealth Forum in March,1999.
- Prof Aslam completed an ADB/Price Waterhouse Project on “Strengthening Local Self-Govt. in Madhya Pradesh”. A video programme produced under this Project “On the Threshold of 21stCentury” won SONY International Award (1999) in Japan.
- Bangladesh Open University honoured Prof. Aslam with special award in June, 2004 for successful completion of Panchayati Raj Project in India and its replication in Bangladesh.
- Prof Aslam was conferred, ‘ Professional Excellence Award’ Of Mewat Development Society by the Union Minister for Panchayats, in August, 2007.
- Prof Aslam has also served as the ‘Project Leader’ for IGNOU-MOPR-UNDP project on ‘Capacity Building of PRIs through a Multi-Mode Training Intervention’ for implementing in six states namely Bihar, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Uttrakhand with the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) as the implementing agency.
Policy Work: Professor Aslam served as a UN expert to the ‘International Seminar on Rural Development: Policies, Strategies and Institutions’ organised by ‘ United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia’ in Beirut, Lebanon from December 20-22, 2004. Served as a member of the international group to prepare , ‘ The Global Strategic Plan for Democracy Education’ during , ‘The Pocantico Conference on Democracy Education’ organized by ‘the Council for the Community of Democracies & The American Forum for Global Education, June,2003, New York. Also chaired Asian Group during the meeting.
Served as Resource Person and Panelist for ‘Global Solidarity for Strengthening and Expanding Democracy.’ held in Seoul, Korea on November 10-12, 2002, attended by 100 Foreign Ministers.
Click here for detailed CV