Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) set up the National Centre for Disability Studies during the 10th plan period, that is operational since November 2006. In order to achieve the goal of Universalisation of education (i.e., teaching, training, research, extension and good governance), the National Centre for Disability Studies (NCDS) was established to undertake plethora of academic, research, extension and awareness activities for human resource development to empower the persons with disabilities and create a society that is friendly for them.
National Centre for Disability Studies acts as Nodal Agency and the first National Centre on Disability Studies under open and distance learning system. The centre is mandated to design develop and implement educational, vocational and awareness programmes in disability for the service providers, who are working for the care and cause of children/persons with disabilities for their rehabilitation and mainstreaming in the society. Its vision is to develop human resources in various fields and areas of disability for creating a sustainable friendly society for person with disabilities.
To develop human resources in various fields and areas of disability for creating a sustainable, friendly society for persons with disabilities.
The mission of the Centre is to provide quality education at the doorsteps of the learners, including persons with disabilities. The specific mission of the Centre is to strengthen the potentials of such people and build their capacity which may help them connect to the mainstream of the society.
The National Centre for Disability Studies has been set up with the following broad objectives:
- To design, develop and implement the training programmes for various categories of professionals/personnel recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India.
- To promote and facilitate research on various disability-related issues;
- To undertake assignments for documentation and dissemination of information related to rehabilitation of children/people with disabilities.
- To Identify and develop appropriate information and communication technologies and software for education and training in the area of disability and set up a resource centre at IGNOU.
- To develop a database of learners with disabilities enrolled in various programmes of IGNOU.
- To organise national/international seminar/workshop/symposia/lecture on various issues related to disability.
- To adopt innovative approaches and policies for education, training and rehabilitation of children with disabilities.
- To institute award/merit scholarship for outstanding disabled students.
- To develop a network of training, employment, information and guidance centres and share expertise and extend support to other such programmes throughout the country as an apex national resource centre.