The IGNOU Centre for ODL in Research and Training in Agriculture (ICRTA) in Agartala, Tripura, is mandated to undertake the research and training in technological as well as managerial aspect of agriculture extension and education in agriculture and allied sector at the national level and particularly for the North East Region of the country.
The objectives of the Centre are:
- To plan and undertake the action research for agriculture production and management system under different locations;
- To develop methodologies and materials for different sectors of agriculture;
- To study socio-economic aspects, gaps and challenges in imparting knowledge and skills to farmers;
- To develop action model for use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in Agriculture Extension, Education and Information System;
- To develop human resources for the Agriculture and Agriculture based industries; and
- To capacity building and competencies upgradation of research, education and extension professionals of the agriculture and allied sectors through ODL system.
The following activities are proposed to be undertaken with a major focus on agricultural extension:
- Development of Distance Education and Extension models and tools.
- Development of Information and Communication System for agriculture management system.
- Development of resource materials for training in Distance Education through printed materials, video, audio and computer mediated programmes.
- Upgradation of competencies of various stakeholders in agriculture sector
- Conduct of vocational training and non-formal education programmes on various aspect of agriculture.
- Implementation of School of Agriculture programmes in North-Eastern Region.
- Action Research on Agriculture Education and Extension.
Academic head: BS Hansra