The Post Graduate Diploma in Library Automation and Networking (PGDLAN) aims at developing the professional competencies of the library and information professionals in an automated and networked environment.
The programme also provides opportunities for in-depth or intensive practical training to enhance technological skills of the learners to independently develop or manage a computerized library and information centre.
The objectives of the Programme are to make the learners to:
- Imbibe knowledge and skills associated with fundamentals of computer technology;
- Understand the basic requirements of library automation and services provided by an automated library;
- Get themselves acquainted with the components of an information system;
- Acquire knowledge and skills on networking and Internet technology in general and library and information networks in particular;
- Develop Internet skills with special reference to the information resources available in different forms and subjects;
- Acquire web-based content development skills;
- Be aware of the legal issues associated with electronic information.
- Be able to design and development a programme by enhancing skills on programming based on specific language such as Java or Visual Basic or C++; and
- Undertake a practical based project work in order to specialize in one of the thrust areas from which the learners will be able to gain technological expertise and apply the same in the area of library automation and netwoarking.