Prof (Dr) Sunil Kumar
Professor & Director (SOPVA)
Worked as Artist Gr III, II & I, Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Reader at various constituents of NCERT, New Delhi from July 1980 to February 2009.
Teacher in Art at Francis town Senior Secondary School, Francistown, Botswana, Southern Africa.
Qualifications: BFA (Fine Arts), PhD (Fine Arts - Graphics)
Area of Specialisation: Fine Arts, A-V Media and Arts Education
Experience: 30 years
Field of Work: A professional fine artist, Professor Sunil Kumar is working intensively for school and higher education system and particularly associated with Visual, Performing and Arts Education. Design new courses, developing curricula, syllabi, text books, supplementary print and non-print materials, training modules in performing and visual arts etc.
Provide guidance on the pedagogy of Art and on use of Media and Visual Aids for classroom and distance learning and organise in-service training programmes for the users of curricula. Supervise and provide guidance for the production of various audio-visual/video programmes, exhibition materials and non-projected teaching aids for education.
Proficient photography and in different techniques of printing ie Silk Screen, Lithography, Linoleum, Etching, Letter Press, Offset and Computer operation.
Awards and Certificates:
- ‘Shiksha Puruskar’, A National Award for the year 2003 – 04 by Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- ‘Technical Textbook Award’ for the year 2005 – 06 by All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE), MHRD, New Delhi
- Awarded merit and other certificates for art work by College of Arts, Delhi University.
- Member of Indian delegation appointed by MHRD visited Kabul to provide technical advice and support for developing infrastructure, teacher training, curricula, textbooks, teaching aids in the area of Arts in Afghanistan.
- Prepared Country paper on Arts Education for ‘World Conference on Arts Education’ held in March 2006 at Lisbon, Portugal and participated in the Conference.
- 'Composition' a mezzotint print is in collection at Community Art College California, USA.
Art Workshops and Camps Attended:
- Workshop on Photography conducted by T. Kashinath at NCERT.
- Graphic Workshop ’94 organized by College of Arts, Delhi University.
- Sambhav camp for painters organized by Sahitya Kala Parishad, New Delhi
Member and expert in various committees of Kumaun University, Banaras Hindu University, National Museum Institute, CBSE, National Council of Educational Research & Training, SCERT, Bal Bhavan, Sainik Schools, NTTIs and Kendriya Vidhyalyas.
Publications (print and non-print):
- ‘Story of Graphic Design’ a text book for class XI.
- A book entitled ‘Bhartiya Chhapachitra Kala - Aadi Se Aadhunik Kaal Tak’ published through the National Book Trust, India, New Delhi.
- A book entitled ‘Let Us Sing Together’ containing patriotic songs published by NCERT.
- Articles published in different journals and books in the area of Art.
- MFA (Painting), MPA (Theatre Art), MPA (Hindustani Music, MPA (Bharatnatyam).
- Certificate in Art Appreciation, Photography.
- Designed a new curricular area “Graphic Design” for Senior Secondary stage of education.
- Teaching Modules in Fine Arts for the secondary class of National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS).
- Draft curriculum ‘Art of Healthy and Productive living’ for primary stage of education.
- ‘Commercial Art ’, a Vocational Education Curriculum for senior secondary.
- Primary Years - Towards Curriculum Framework in “Arts Education” for Pre-Primary and Primary stage (Level - I, II & III).
- Teaching Modules “Arts Education” for Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
- Developed Curriculum in “Art Education” and ‘Work-Experience” for Primary Stage based on Minimum Levels of Learning.
Developed number of projected and non-projected teaching aids in the form of charts, posters, audio- visual, tape slides, low cost material etc. Official Address:
School of Performing and Visual Arts ,
New Delhi - 110068