As part of the commemoration of the 150th year of the First War of India's Independence, IGNOU, with the support from the Ministry of Human Resource Development, established the Indira Gandhi Centre for Freedom Struggle Studies (IGCFSS), with the following objectives:
- To disseminate information and create awareness of India's Freedom Struggle among the youth, students and masses by using different strategies;
- To prepare an encyclopaedia of the Indian Freedom Movement with the help of other relevant institutions;
- To collect all relevant materials such as folklore, literature, songs, slogans, etc. in order to create a resource base which could provide inputs for the national and international museums on freedom movements which are under consideration by the Government of India;
- To prepare a National Register of Martyrs including women, tribal leaders and others who contributed to the freedom struggle within and outside India;
- To conduct different types of awareness programmes in collaboration with institutions, such as, Institute for Socialist Education, National Archives of India, etc. as well as to undertake relevant research studies.