The School of Law (SOL) was established in 2005 with an objective of imparting legal education through Open and Distance Learning system. The school aims to create awareness about legal rights and responsibilities in the emerging world order. The School strives to ensure high quality education and research through innovative, multi-media learning teaching packages with a focus on learning practical aspects of law, acquiring legal skills and scholarship.
Recognising the importance of legal education and demand for the programmes in Law, IGNOU constituted a five member Committee in 1994 under the Chairmanship of Prof N R Madhava Menon, an eminent legal educationist. Prof Menon’s Committee suggested developing professional programmes in Law including programmes in Paralegal Education, Court Administration, Law and Office Management, Legal Aid administration, occupation based and management oriented legal education for middle and top-level personnel in government and industry. The UGC Curriculum Development Centre in Law (CDC) setup in 1990, under the leadership of Prof Upendra Baxi, an eminent jurist, also underscored the importance of Distance Education in Law as inclusive legal education for wider participation in legal profession, judicial appointments and government law offices.
The School of Law organised a brainstorming session in June, 2007 to prepare a road map for legal education in India. The important recommendations of the brainstorming session enabled the School of Law to plan and develop a range of programmes in law.
VIRTUAL EDUCATION IN LAW (VEL)
It is a virtual learning platform to offer the Law programmes online. This was introduced on June 9, 2008 through which PG Certificate in Cyber Law is being offered online.
Features of VEL
- Walk in admission: Admission will be available throughout the year. Facility for online payment gateway is available for the registration.
- Integrated multimedia courseware: Once registered, the learners will have access to personalized learning space (My page).
- Online e-counsellors: The counselling and mentoring will be done online. Distributed model will be followed with e-counsellors.
- Assignment Management System: Assignments will be of two types, objective and subjective.
- Online Term End Examination: Online examination will be conducted of course, in specified centres for proper monitoring.